Monday, November 14, 2011

Not-So-Merry A Time of Year

While this is the preferred season of the year for many human beings--with the holidays rapidly approaching; gifts, family, friends, eggnog and brandy--it is a time that--because of the restaurant industry--I fucking despise.

Typically, the holiday season brings an abundance of business--and that is good; I am not complaining--but sometimes money isn't everything. You could tell me, right now, that I am going to make 8 grand over the course of the next 2 months, and I still wouldn't give a flying fuck!

As waiters, we are required to work Thanksgiving, Christmas eve, and both New Year's eve and New Year's day. In this way, our lives are forfeited for the happiness of others. I wake up on each holiday at 9 a.m., eat a quick breakfast, make a few obligatory phone calls, then head to the restaurant to work a 10 hour shift. My holiday feasting is usually done on the fly--sometimes not at all.

So with that being said, I think it is fair to speak on behalf of all restaurant employees when I say to holiday customers, "show some fucking courtesy, patience, and respect to those that work tirelessly on holidays to give your family a pleasant experience."


Because....

If it were up to us, we would be home with our loved ones; laughing, joking, pigging out, watching football, catching a sick buzz, and not having a single fucking worry in the world--especially one that pertains to whether or not you received your turkey dinner with ALL dark meat, or whatever-the-fuck.

3 comments:

  1. yikes...and I complain about having to work on black friday. i'd be the most bummed if I had to work on christmas day...kudos

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Lindsey, Black Friday is bad enough. I'm so excited for my 14 hour work day. I dont' know what I'd do if I was stack here on Thanks Giving too.

    ReplyDelete